June 24, 2012

My Dear Grandpa

Yesterday June 23, 2012 my dear Grandpa Edvalson exited this world.  He was a wonderful man.  He made my childhood full of excitement. He will be missed!!!
Grandpa Edvalson was my mother's father.  He was a WWII vet.  Growing up he would tell us many stories from the War.  He was most proud that he could still (at the age of 85) fit into his army uniform.  I remember him coming to my High School to give a talk about WWII.  I learn a lot from him.
In early 2006 Grandpa had a stroke.  And for the last 6 years he has been living from the effects of that stroke and only been able to use one side of his body.  Yet, he has been optimistic and happy.  
Grandpa loved to tease his Grandchildren.  He had 23 Grandchildren and made us each feel special.  As a little girl I remember running and jumping into his arms.  He would take us horseback-riding.  He took us apple-picking and pee-picking.  He always made wonderful breakfasts' for us with bran-muffins, blue-berry waffles, orange juice, and sausage.  He loved cooking and always wear this apron that said, "Kiss the Cook".  But what I loved most about my Grandpa was how he loved my Grandma.

Grandma Edvalson is my mother's mom.  Last month she was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer.  She just finished one round of Chemotherapy.  For the last 6 years she has been at her husbands bedside. She is the most selfless person I know.  Grandma is always taking care of others before herself.  She was a wonderful wife.  She is a wonderful mother to my mom.  She is an amazing Grandmother.  What I remember most about Grandma is that she never-ever forgot a birthday.  Today she still mails me, my husband, and our kids a birthday card.  She is always thinking of others.
Grandma loved to love on us grandkids.  She was the grandma who loved to cuddle with me on the couch.  She was always serving us grandkids and wanting to make sure we were having fun.  Grandma made great dinners, and she also did the dishes.  She never wanted the spotlight but deserved it. 
My dear Grandma was at Grandpa bedside when he pass.  She said it was quite and peaceful.   She loved Grandpa so much, that I feel she will follow him shortly.

Elmer Edvalson, Rachel Kanooth, Glenda Edvalson 2005


1 comment:

Amy said...

So sorry Rach! They sound like amazing people. Lots of love your way!