May 5, 2009

I did it!!!!

May 2nd, I participated in the 2009 Fort Leavenworth Sprint Triathlon. This was my second year participating in this event was it was just as hard. It is called a sprint Triathlon because each event is a short sprint. The swim is 400 meters, the bike is 13 miles and the run is 3.1 miles. The hardest part for me has always been the bike. I thought with my new bike, it would be a lot easier then last year. Wrong!! This fort has so many rolling hills. I never thought Kansas could have that many hills in small small area. Once I got over a hill... another hill just happened to appear. The worst part about the course is getting off your bike and starting into the run. As soon as I got off the bike, my feet were tingling and my legs were already sore. Yet, you still have to run the 3.1 miles.

Millie and I before the race. (Look how fresh we look).
Milli , Amy (Mili's friend) and I after the race.
I too want to think my dear friend Milli for encouraging me to run this race. I all honestly I wasn't very excited about getting up at 6:00, paying $40.00, and using all my energy so early in the morning. BUT man am I proud of myself for doing it. Milli and I were both procrastinators and signed up the day of the event. We therefore we # 260 and #261. That made us the very last participants to enter the water. I thought it would be hard starting last, but I loved it. Milli and I both got to pass people throughout the entire race. I even came in 4th place for my age group and Mili was only 50 seconds behind me. I was really proud of both of us. Thanks again for talking me into running.

12 comments:

Cavan, Sarah, KaeLynn said...

WOW girl you are amazing!!! I wish I had the desire to do something like that! Keep it up!

Zak and Allysia said...

Awesome! Good job!

Anie said...

way to go girl! proud of you guys!!

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for doing it with me... I was scared to do it alone! You rocked it!

Andrea said...

Great work Rachel! A few more months to go....excited to see you!

Andrea said...

We'll have to get our run at the beach again....that was so much fun last year!

Unknown said...

Nice job Rach! Man, I would love to do a triathlon but don't like swimming! You are such a stud to just go and decide to do it! We have one here in Hayden Ryan is going to try and do but it all depends on if his leg is better or not! You look so good!

Kara said...

You are amazing - I am in awe of you! Seriosly - you're a rock star at work and in everything else you do. Way to go!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda said...

Great job!!!! That is such an accomplishment! I probably would have drowned out there. :) Jonathan and I are running the Portland marathon together in October! We're excited. And you look amazing, by the way!!!

Amy said...

OH my goodness you both are amazing! I could never do that in a million years! Such an inspiration to me!

Black Family said...

Oh so fun! I love triathlons....out of all races those are my faves! You look GREAT by the way! Good job!!!!

Erin Dooley said...

Good for you!!! That's awesome!