May 25, 2011

Our Carnival Cruise

As a gift to ourselves for finishing medical school, Leif & I went cruising! We set sail on the Carnival Glory, a 7 day Exotic Western Caribbean Cruise. May 15th, was our departure date out of Miami. Our ship was HUGE. It held 3,500 people. On our ship we got to partake in 24 hour ice-cream, pizza and superb buffets. We got to amuse ourselves in 3 pools, 8 hot-tubs, 1 whirl pool, and a sauna. On our ship you could also find; miniature golfing, basket-ball, ping-pong, volley-ball, shuffle board, bing-bag toss, a work out room, a track, movie theater, comedy club, disco, casino, and did I mention food!!! We were in food heaven. The hardest part about cruising is figuring out what to eat.
On Sunday and Monday we had enjoyable days at sea. For me the highlight of these days was the ping-pong tournament. Leif and I both entered the competition. It was single elimination but…. I won!! Yep, I triumphed over the men and came in first. As a price I got a metal and ship on a stick. The highlight for Leif was Monday night formal dinner. It was lobster night. Leif’s main dish was Lobster & Shrimp. Between the 2 of us we had 4 appetizers, 3 main dishes and ended our meal with warm chocolate cake. After the meal we went and watched the Carnival Glory dancers. (Every night on a cruise ends with dinner and a show).

On Tuesday our ship docked in Cozumel, Mexico. One of our friends recommend a place called Paradise Beach so that is where we went. The beach was Paradise. There was a pool with lawn-chair inside the water right next to the beach. The beach was an adult’s play-land. In the water there were 3 trampolines, 2 water slides, a blow up rock-wall, teeter-totter, and a maze thing. We also went kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, and sun-tanning. It was truly a paradise beach.



On Wednesday we were the first get off the ship and do an excursion in Belize. It was to a Mayan ruin called Xunntunich (pronounced zoo-nan-two-nich). We took an hour bus ride, then a ferry, then walked almost one mile to the site. The site is about 325 square miles and is made up of 6 major plazas, more than 25 temples, and 1 ball court. Leif and I had a lot of fun climbing the 200 steps up to the main plaza called El Castillo. The view was incredible and we could see into Guatemala.



Thursday was by far our most favorite day. We rented scoters on the island of Roatan, Hondoras. We then explored the island driving down roads with no speed limit and no street names. We ended up finding a monkey/parrot farm. We had a lot of fun playing with the monkies. The baby monkies were so so cute. They made me miss Micah & Savannah. At the tip of the island was a really nice beach resort. Leif and I got to use their pool/beach for a while (before getting kicked out). It truly was a remarkable view. Before heading back to the ship we scotered into a small town and walked around. The people of Honduras are so poor. It made me feel guilty for complaining bout my 2 bedroom home. We walked past families who lived with hardly anything. It was a really humbling experience.





Friday our ship ported at
Grand Cayman Island. Grand Cayman is owned by the UK so it was touristy and clean. We were only at this island for 5 hours so we just walked to 7 Mile Beach and played. Leif and I passed our time by playing Frisbee, beach ball, and snorkeling. This island made me excited to move to Florida.



Saturday and Sunday were spent back on the ship. Leif and I had a lot of fun together. We were so blessed to be able to have such a nice trip.




We Had a Blast

4 comments:

Cavan, Sarah, KaeLynn said...

What an awesome vacation! I didn't know that a cruise could be so fun!!! How nice to have some alone time together! Cavan and I got to in San Diego and it was so nice!

Amy said...

I so want to go on a cruise now! Looks like fun!

Melanie said...

SO fun!! WE took that EXACT trip two years ago, loved Belize and Roatan. We couldn't go to Mexico because of "swine flu" so went to the Florida Keys instead. Glad you had time to get away!

Shelley said...

Looks like you had so much fun Rachel! We miss you! It's hotter then heck here. At least you have a place to cool off! :}